Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lars And The Real Girl

Tolerance. Tolerance has always been an interesting subject in my opinion. There are so many different ways to look at it. For one there is the big issue of not judging others for skin color, ethnicities, or what makes us different. Tolerance is a vital virtue for the world to have for us to survive. We need to have people that are willing to accept others with open arms. Then we can look at it as an individual issue. When it comes to family and friends, how far are we willing to go to accept others for who they are? What faults do people have that we look over because we love each other. So then we come across one of my all time favorite movies, Lars And The Real Girl. In my opinion a great movie that everyone should watch and talk about. One of the movies that really hits home for me because I think its message is incredibly important for the world. It was an early experience with Ryan Gosling and an interesting one at that. It is certainly one of the most unique movies you will ever see, but also one of the most challenging, at least if you see it like I do.

Lars And The Real Girl stars Ryan Gosling as Lars, a social awkward man, who has ordered a realistic sex doll, Bianca, as his girlfriend. Using the doll as i gateway to the real world, Lars creates a delusion and the people around him must decide to either put up with it or reject him from the community. Lars' brother Gus has trouble not only understanding but dealing with Bianca while his wife works hard to accept Lars for who he is. Lars must learn how to interact in the real world while at the same time the real world learns to deal with Lars.

 Lars And The Real Girl is one of my all time favorite movies. I never get tired of it and I love to watch it multiples times, especially with friends. What makes it so special to my heart is that the message is golden and very dear to myself. I adore it and find it to be one of the most important movies I have ever seen. It makes me want to be a better person and to reach out to everyone and anyone around me. How far will you go for the ones you love? It is easy to say you can be there on a tough day or when they call you. What happens when they show up with a sex doll and say it is their girlfriend? For me this movie is more about how people react to Lars rather than an examination of Lars himself. When I watch I root for the people who open their arms up to him and hope that one day I can be that good of a person.

What makes this movie unforgettable is that this movie has the biggest heart. It is a movie that cares about those who feel different and hopes that others can learn to make a better world. Me personally, I have always felt a little bit different from everyone else and I sympathize with Lars. Sometimes we are all looking to be treated like normal and to overcome our fears and anxieties about life. I feel like it is almost impossible for this movie not to touch you emotionally and especially your heart. I yearn for a world that Lars lives in, a place where people come together to help each other out even if its dealing with a man carrying a sex doll everywhere. If the movie ever lost its heart, ever lost the message, then it would not be as powerful as it is. The important thing s that the movie is strong and makes us face Lars head on. We learn to accept him and understand him while along the way we learn about ourselves and how we can be better people. By the time the end of the movie comes around we see that we too have become friends with Bianca and we didn't think she would impact us. A movie that starts out funny and awkward all of the sudden becomes moving.

A lot of this movie has to be attributed to the amazing performance by Ryan Gosling who creates the ever lovable Lars. His performance is incredible and couldn't get enough praise in my opinion. His antics and quirks are simple yet powerful and he is able to slowly draws us in and care for him. Patricia Clarkson also was incredible as the doctor who works with Lars and the people around him to help him. Those two performances really work and carry the film to the emotional level that it reaches. Praise should also go to Emily Mortimer who has the most powerful scene in the film when she confronts Lars and Paul Schneider who also gives a phenomenal performance which I highly enjoyed. The music is simple but perfect for the feel of the film and the camera sits back to capture the incredible performances by these actors. I am also always surprised by how good the script is and probably one of the strongest dramatic scripts of its decade. Its funny, emotional, but most of all it feels realistic.

Overall I do LOVE and adore this film. Its great, powerful, emotional, strong, and one of my all time favorite movies. I could not suggest it or recommend it anymore. It is a movie that should challenge you and should ask you how you would treat Lars. You should talk about it and reflect about it, like great movies should. One of the greats.

4/4

No comments:

Post a Comment