Tuesday, December 20, 2011

HUGO Review

Every once in a while a movie will come out that reminds me why I love movies. Nolan has done that recently with The Dark Knight and Inception, both film were able to take me away to a different world and amaze me with every frame. Jurassic Park is one because it is one of the earliest film I ever saw when my Dad left me in front of the TV. Lastly, There Will Be Blood showed me that when you combine the best acting, script, and visuals together you create a truly remarkable cinematic experience. Now I have Hugo to look at for inspiration. In one film, I was amazed at the advancement of film technology, laughed like the child I used to be, and cried at the pure brilliance of the beginning of cinema. Martin Scorsese is a film school's filmmaker and uses his knowledge of film history to the fullest in his last cinematic masterpiece. I haven't written a review in a while but this movie was so inspiring that I had to write about it and express my feelings about it. So read on if you want to read my love letter to Scorsese's love letter of cinema.

Hugo takes place in the 1930s at a Paris train station. The film follows protagonist Hugo Cabret, a young boy who lives in the train station fixing the clocks and trying to collect gears and tools for a strange mechanism called a automaton. He soon gets in trouble with toy shop owner George who steals his late father's notebook. Hugo then meets Isabelle, the god daughter of George who helps him get back the notebook as they form a friendship. Hugo must now find a way to complete his father's automaton and learn about the strange secrets the robot holds. Hugo stars Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jude Law, Sacha Baron Cohen, Emily Mortimer, Christopher Lee, and Ben Kingsley.

Hugo is another instant masterpiece from the powerful director Martin Scorsese. I will admit when I first heard that Scorsese was handling a children's movie I was a bit skeptical. Could the director that made Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and Raging Bull handle the children's genre? I was worried, worried that he would try too hard to be a kid movie and lose his typical power behind the camera.

Fortunately I was wrong, not only did Scorsese make an amazing film but he took the genre to a new level. The mastery of new technology, the powerful story, some great acting, and most of all beautiful visuals come together to make Hugo and unforgettable experience. It is one of the most touching films of the year and is enjoyable to everyone. Even though it is considered a kids film, I wouldn't call it that at all. While it does contain kid film cliches, Scorsese presents it in a fresh way that both adults can kids can enjoy.

Though what this film really comes down to is a love letter from Scorsese to cinema. It is a movie that reminds us why we love movies and why we watch them. It is a throwback to the classic days of silent film and reminds us that movies inspire us and bring dreams to the big screen. Ben Kingsley, spoiler alert, plays the amazing film director George Melies who made such classics as A Trip To The Moon and The Impossible Voyage. Kingsley is able to bring George to life in a powerful way and creates the best part of this wonderful film. Socrsese, who watch out for his quick cameo, recreates the early days of cinema and brings the audience to the roots of film. It is beautifully directed and I know as a film lover I was crying watching the early days of cinema being brought to life.

What makes this film incredible to think about is the combination of a film history lesson for those new to George Melies and a reminder to film lovers about the importance of our roots. I will admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Melies' work but Scorsese turned me around and helped me gain a great deal of respect and love for Melies' work and of early cinema. If your a film history buff I will guarantee that you will love this part and adore Scorsese's approach. If you don't know much about film history, then here is a great starting point.

Besides the obvious love for film, Hugo still stands as a great movie. I was highly impressed by the acting skills and range from the young Asa Butterfield. It didn't feel overacted but rather a real glimpse into the struggle of a boy trying to reconnect with his dead father. The internal struggle of Melies dealing with his past is another great subplot but is done is in a great subtle flow until the end when it climaxes to the film's best scenes.

For fans of 3-D films, this is some of the best, possibly THE best, use of 3-D on the big screen. I was totally soaked into the environment and even forgot I was wearing glasses after the first few seconds. For 3-D haters, I was one before this film, give Hugo a chance and you will be happy that you did. The movement through the clockworks and the French city are some amazing visual flairs that will take you away.

Overall, Hugo is another masterpiece from Martin Scorsese and is worth every penny. This is one of the best films of 2011 without a doubt and is a MUST-SEE! I absolutely loved this film from beginning to end. There are one or two scenes that feel too much like a kids movie and are unnecessary but the rest of the film makes up for it in a huge way. Hugo dominates and will take you away, enjoy it and love it.

4.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment