Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Melancholia Movie Review

Lars Von Trier has skyrocketed in stock in my personal film opinion. The man might be the most daring filmmaker today, Steve McQueen is up there too, but he certain is one of the smartest. He is a walking genius that has made some of the most brilliant, stunning, emotionally challenging, and visually dominated films that have ever been made. From Dancer In The Dark, which might be the most depressing movie ever made, to Dogville, which is the most challenging film I have ever seen; Von Trier shows no signs of stopping with his next film Melancholia. I had been interested in this film ever since I saw Antichrist, which rocked my world, and I couldn’t wait to finally see this film. Though you have to be careful with expectations because you could end up loving a film just because of expectations and the director even though it is awful. Still, with a stunning cast behind him and an interesting premise, Melancholia hopefully will be another thrill ride. Read on to see my thoughts…

Melancholia is about Justine (Kirsten Dunst) a newlywed who is unfortunately also dealing with severe depression in the most unique of ways. She cannot enjoy her wedding reception or even her husband. Her sister Claire tries to help her out by planning the reception and eventually trying to take care of her during her dark time. Claire is married to John, a rich man who is fascinated by the stars but is somewhat fed up with Justine and her action. The film is split up into two acts: the first following Justine during the wedding and the second following Claire and her family in preparation for the planet Melancholia.

While expectations were high and the wait was anxious, Melancholia was dominant! Lars Von Trier has made another masterpiece in his long list of powerful films. Where the visuals dominate and the acting is superb, Melancholia is a powerhouse of a film that almost anyone can and should enjoy. I will admit that I didn’t not expect the movie to be as good as it turned out to be, I loved it and its deep and hard look into depression.

A lot of this movie works because of Lars Von Trier’s stunning visuals that overpower the screen. The cinematography is amazing and gives the film a great look that completely matches the tone of feel of the film. What makes Trier really smart is the ability to switch from his visual dominance to the camera becoming a viewer of the great performances from the cast. There are some amazing shots in this film that I just loved that really pushed this movie over the top. Especially the final shot, which is just an incredible combination of intensity and emotion that really blew my mind. I will admit that the final shot really pushed me to the point of tears just from the sheer amazement from it.

Speaking of which, probably the best part of the whole film is the film’s prologue. Each shot in the prologue is long, profound and just damn beautiful. While at first I will admit I was confused, as the film continues each shot comes into its place and make sense. That said, I still loved it because of its power and beauty that dominated the beginning. It perfectly sets up the tone and includes some of the best shots of the whole film. On a second viewing, I appreciated the prologue even more as I understood it and appreciated it. This movie alone wants me to use prologue in every film I make.

Still, as with any filmmaker, Lars Von Trier was able to create and capture some amazing characters like Justine and Claire. Kirsten Dunst gives the best performance of her life as Justine, bringing to her to life in a dark, twisted way that just works. You will sympathize with her one minute and then the next despise her. In the first act of the film, Dunst works subtly to perfect and we begin to understand her pain. As the second act continues we finally see how depression can dominate someone’s life. Though her best stuff comes in the last scenes of the film but I don’t want to give much away there. Charlotte Gainsbourg, who was awesome in Lars Von Trier’s Antichrist, does a great job as Claire whose performance doesn’t really begin to bust out of the gates until the last act. While the wait for her power is long, it is worth the wait. The rest of the cast does an amazing job as well. John Hurt was a nice surprise and a great addition. Kiefer Sutherland also gives a great performance as John, Claire’s wife, and my personal favorite performance from him.

The story is great and was really a powerful one in my opinion. While the first act is a great character study of people, family, and depression; the second act stands as a dominating look at how people handle impending doom. In the first act we begin to understand Justine’s depression and see how it affects herself and others. We also get a look at how family cuts deep with Justine’s mother having a great impact on Justine and the people around her. One of the toughest parts to watch is Justine’s desperate cry for help to her parents who respond with ignoring her. 

In the second act, we get to see some of the characters in their true colors and how people act in times of danger. Through the main four characters; Justine, John, Claire, and Leo who is Claire’s son; we see the differences when facing our doom. We see innocence through Leo, the poor little boy who is too young to fully understand what is happening. We see cowardice through John, unable to accept his fate and takes matters into his own hands. We see fear from Claire who does not want life to end for her or her son and cannot understand or handle what Melancholia brings. Finally we see acceptance from Justine of all places, who brings everyone together as Melancholia approaches.

Overall I adored this film and its amazing power it was able to take over me. The visuals are incredible with a prologue that is stunning and a final shot that blew me away. The cast is impeccable and gives amazing performances. Plus don’t let me forget to mention the incredible score behind this film that creates the mood and tone of the film that works perfectly. This is an incredible film that will challenge you but in a good way. It will make you think and most of all make you feel. Watch it, enjoy it, and love it.

5/5

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, man! I loved it also and I have it as my #1 film of the year. I am a passionate admirer of von Trier and all of his work. Even his weaker ones are highly explorative and worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely, Manderlay is the most recent Trier movie I have watched and I thought it was just average, but overall much deeper and wiser then most films that come out every year

      Delete