Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dear Zachary, A Letter to a Son About His Father



Ever so often a film comes around that shakes my core. It makes me deal with tough issues that sometimes we don't want to talk about. It gets to my heart and plays with my emotions like a punching bag. It makes me reflect on myself and my life. It makes me reflect on the world and wonder why? and how? It makes me suffer for not only those involved but for me and I question what have I done? Dear Zachary is one of those films.


While I suggest that you go watch it before you read this review be careful of spoilers ahead. Once again I highly suggest to stop reading this and go watch this movie before you read my review. Its a movie that is more meaningful and powerful if you know nothing about it going in.

Dear Zachary is a film about Andrew Bagby who has recently been murdered. His friend, Kurt Kenne, is a filmmaker who sets out to make a movie about Andrew and to learn more about him on the way. Then, the movie takes a turn as we find out that Andrew's ex-girlfriend, who is the prime suspect as Andrew's murderer, is pregnant with Andrew's baby. The movie then becomes a letter to the baby so that he will learn about his father from his friends and family. This movie is more than that but to reveal anymore would ruin it for people.

The highlight of this film is the story. It is both uplifting and tragic, heart breaking yet inspirational. From the start you slowly start to feel for these people and you may even feel like you know them. You care for them and root for them. When they feel pain you are in pain, you want to be there for them and help them. I felt more emotionally connected to the Bagby then any other family in film.

The other incredibly strong aspect of this film was the editing. Looking over hours and hours of film, Kenne was able to edit together a masterpiece and basically control your emotions over the film. It never feels off or distracting and keep right with the pace of the film. The editing itself displays outrage, love, and sadness all within the same film. I give major props to this and any editor should watch this documentary to see how editing can impact a film.

Lastly I want to wrap up this review fast because the more I talk about it the more I worry that I will reveal too much about it. So I want to repeat to watch this movie with as little knowledge about it as possible. It will impact you unlike any other film made. Please watch it, PLEASE! It is, in my opinion, the greatest documentary I have ever seen, maybe even made. 5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't stop crying watching this I've never watched anything so overwhelmingly sad.

    ReplyDelete