Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thor "I need a horse!"

Even though Fast Five had already came out, I consider that Thor was the first "blockbuster" type film of the summer and marked the beginning of summer cinema. Out of all the movies coming out this summer I must admit that I was nervous more about Thor than any other. I liked Thor in the comic books and always saw him as a badass but was worried that Marvel was not going to be able to transition him to film easily. Thor had a lot of backstory to cover and it would be hard to condense it to a pleasable fashion for the audience. Did Thor work out? Read on for my opinion.
Thor is a movie about the Norse god Thor. At the beginning we learn that Thor is next in line to rule Asgard behind his father Odin. Unfortunately, Thor's immaturity and disrespect gets him kicked out of Asgard and to Earth until he learns that with great responsibility comes great power. When Odin enters a coma, Loki, Thor's brother, turns against his brother and father and becomes a corrupt ruler. Thor must find a way to gain back his power as God of Thunder and return to Asgard and stop Loki before his evil plan succeeds

Well this movie certainly turned out better than I expected. The first pro was that the movie never tried to force too much Norse mythology into the audience and went with the flow with the storyline. They never tried to explain too much and let the visuals tell the story rather than telling us. It also did a a great job with the action which was a big necessity for Thor. He really becomes a bad ass on screen and shows off some moves including a finished move that I will never forget. They also made sure that it fit Thor's style from the comics books. The classic spinning of Mjölnir and the huge thunderbolt strike are a few that were fun to watch and well done.

Thor was also an hilarious film! I found myself laugh out loud a lot which was unexpected but is becoming a common, and enjoyable, theme throughout the comic books movie. One specific scene that I enjoyed was Thor smashing a coffee cup and asking for more. They totally played into the god on Earth comedy and it worked out for them. I will never be able to think of a pet store without laughing cause of this film.

Another interested aspect of the film was the relationship between Thor and Jane. At first I wasn't too into it and didn't understand why they were trying to force it. Now after some contemplating, it makes sense because they need her to get Thor back for Avengers so it wasn't a terrible move.

At the same time Thor is definitely got some flaws. For one there were a few scenes that felt dragged on and unnecessary to the rest of the film. It also felt like they repeated a few jokes too many times. But the rest of the movie was so good that I was willing to look over these. Also there were two times when they said "Is it madness" and i felt like it was a huge 300 reference, we even had a kid scream this is Sparta in my theater.

I was also impressed by the great cast. Chris Hemsworth was a great cast for Thor and played him perfectly, not only for looks but also his voice sounded like Thor. Anthony Hopkins, as usual, did a great job as Odin was pulled off the ruler of Asgard very well. The biggest surprise was Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and while I didn't like him at first overall he was a great Loki and I can't wait to see more of him. I didn't know Kat Dennings was going to be in this movie and she surprised me with some good humor. Portman, while this wasn't her A-Game, was still good as Jane.

Also look out for some awesome cameos, and definitely look out for the after credits scene, let's just say Avengers is going to be epic! So Thor was enjoyable and worth your money at the theater, its a great look for things to come and funny to boot! 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment