Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cars 2

Finally back. It has been a while since I wrote a review but I was just getting exhausted from writing so much that I needed a break. I went back to watching some of my favorite TV shows and if I have a suggestion I would watch Parks and Recreation which may be the funniest show on the planet. So I decided to go see Cars 2 yesterday because I am a huge Pixar fan so I was excited to see it. I was worried though because it had been around that Cars 2 was the first "flop" of the Pixar films so I was a bit nervous. Nevertheless I was excited to see another Pixar film on the big screen.

Cars 2 stars all the big names from the first Cars film like Lightning McQueen and Mater. This time around McQueen has been dominating the Piston Cup races while Mater and friends stay back in Radiator Springs. A new alternative fuel company is now sponsoring a new World Gran Prix and McQueen wants Mater to join him. Unfortunately Mater's antics start causing a problem in his friendship and McQueen tells him to go back to Radiator Springs. On his way back, Mater gets confused as a secret agent by British Intelligence agents McMissile and Shiftwell. Now Mater must work with the secret agents to stop the plan to ruin the Gran Prix, grow up, and fix his friendship with McQueen to make things right again.

Plot: Overall this was not a terrible story. It was had some great spy and espionage back story and even the big races were a lot of fun. Plus there was some nice character development with Mater that explored being different is tough at times but you should just be yourself. Some good stuff for people to hear but there is a big problem. Pixar has some big expectations with their films. Especially coming off Toy Story 3, people want some deep story telling that has a huge heart on the side as well. So this level in Cars 2 is just a little below our expectations. Still that is not saying that it was terrible, just that it was average. At the same time, I really enjoy the world of Cars and the spy stuff was a lot of fun to watch. So if you accept and enjoy the world of Cars I think you will enjoy this as well. For the critics I feel that they just don't like the world of Cars so don't worry about what they say. Good plot, just not great. 3/5

Cast: There is some good voice acting here. Especially from Michael Caine who had the best part. He is just a regular favorite so it was a lot of fun to hear him as McMissile. There were also a lot of fun supporting characters that were fun. Eddie Izzard,  John Turturro, and Emily Mortimer were the highlights and were nice additions to the cast. I will admit that Larry The Cable Guy does get annoying at points as Mater but nothing that ruins the film and Owen Wilson does a nice job re-praising the role as McQueen. Nothing spectacular here, but it was nice. 3.5/5.

Script: Unfortunately nothing sticks out here as incredible but follows the same line as the plot. Good and there are some funny parts. And once again the spy stuff was a lot of fun. 3/5

Direction/Visuals: As Pixar usually does, the visuals were spectacular here. There were some great sets all around the world and the explosions and chase scenes were stunning. The 3-D was worth the money compared to others films but still works just as fine in 2-D as well. I think the race scenes were great because of the nice combination of well done editing, nice music, and great direction. Also the spy stuff once again, which you can tell was my favorite part, was suspenseful and felt like a kid version of Mission Impossible, which depending on the viewer will be a good or bad thing. Overall nice direction. 3.5/5

Overall: Not the best Pixar film, but also not a flop. Enjoyable but not must-see. I would suggest wait for it on TV or DVD. Classic Pixar and if you are a fan of them then you might just enjoy this one.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment