Friday, June 10, 2011

Easy A

Easy A is a film I have been hearing about for a while. Since it came out last fall, people from my freshmen hall went out to see it. They came back bragging about how funny it was calling it the new Mean Girls. Then my parents went out to see it and they couldn't stop talking about it. So it was about time that I finally catch this film and see if it matches up to what everyone had been telling me. I will admit I did want to see Emma Stone pull out another great performance and it was going to be nice seeing Thomas Haden Church in a comedic performance again. Read on to see if I enjoyed Easy A.

Easy A is about Olive, a high school girl whose life gets turned around after a little white lie about losing her virginity spreads like wildfire around the school. Even after Olive tries to fix her mistake, kids are still convinced that she lost her V-Card.  Soon people approach her and offer her money to continue her "lies" and to help out with their social reputation. As the lies build up, in reflection with Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, Olive must decide to either continue the lie or to reveal the truth.

For me, reviewing comedies are pretty easy. They are either funny and worth your watch or they are awful and you should stay away. Now obviously there is more to a movie that if it is funny or not but for most people out there who are interested in hear about one wants really to know if it is funny or not. Well unlike Hangover Part II, Easy A is hilarious and worth your watch. The thing that makes this movie so special is a few things actually. It is relevant, it has a nice heart behind it, and it feels real. It is a great story that updates a classic in a smart way. At the same time it is not stupid, Olive does try to stop it which gives her some smarts rather than just letting it happen. At the same time, it does seem like something like this could happen in high school because most ideas about people come from gossip and rumors.

At the same time this movie is really thanks to the awesome cast. Emma Stone is glorious. She is funny and yet adds a lot of heart to the story. Watching her I felt like she was some old friends from high school or even some people I know from college. She really makes this movie work by embracing Olive and bring her story to the screen. Thomas Haden Church, who I had been looking forward too, didn't disappoint either and had some nice one liners. The highlight of this film lies in Olive's parents played by Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson. They are so funny and every time they came on I was laughing out loud. I kept waiting for the film to come back to them to see them brace their quirkiness.

Overall this film was enjoyable and worth a watch. There are so many comedies that come out these days that it is nice to see one like this with originality and heart behind it. 4/5.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't call it the new Mean Girls but I love the originality of this film. As you said, it is nice to see a comedy set in high school with a bit of thought behind it.

    - Richard
    RIOTonit.net

    ReplyDelete