Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Ridiculous Pricing Of Movies

I need to talk about something that is causing a problems with the movie going experience. For those who go to the movies know what I am talking about and today I wanted to asses the problem and then propose my solutions to it. It might never make a difference but hell it bothers the crap out of me.

THE PROBLEM: The amount of money it costs to go to the movies is getting ridiculous. To go see a movie these days it costs around $10. For me at my theater it costs $10.50. Why is this getting so expensive? At the same time that I don't understand I do understand. The theater does need the money to take care of its employees, the costs of purchasing a movie, and running the everyday costs of the building. But $10 is just way too much. Just a few years ago it would cost around 7 dollars. And I understand that it is tough times but at the same time these rising prices are going to overall hurt the theater in the long run and here is why. At some point people will get tired of having to pay so much for going to the movies and they will have to choose only the great crowd pleasures to actually go the movie theater. So the smaller films will not get good money in the box office and studios will lose money. Then studios will start becoming more paranoid about what films to produce and eventually less films will be made, less people will have jobs because of this, and overall money will be lost. So how do we fix this? Here is what I think:

THE SOLUTION: The first part to this solution is for the studio to start planning their money better. Stop spending money on movies that are going to bomb where that movie could be much better used. Examples include "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer" "The Adventures Of Pluto Nash" "Mars Needs Moms" "Catwomen" "Son Of The Mask" are just a few examples. If the studios were smart and actually decided to cancel some of these films they would have more money for better films which would conclude with a  better box office and help with profits so that they wouldn't have to charge theaters so much and therefore lower ticket prices. See if the studios would sell more tickets then they would get just as much money as selling a sad amount of high priced tickets for a bad movie. So we need to put pressure on the studios to make better films. If they make better films overall, ticket numbers will go up and then the studios and the theaters will not need to have the prices so high. We also need to lower the price because even if we only increase ticket numbers for the good films, both parties will still feel no pressure to lower prices. Maybe a boycott is necessary but something will need to pressure the price.So we must boycott the horrible films, support the really good ones, and pressure lowering the price

Realistically: The prices probably won't drop because people, including me, will continue to see movies. As long as they keep making them people will be in the theater to see them. If I have any suggestions try to go to the matinee showing or just wait for it on DVD, Online, or on TV. 

Now a lot of this is idealistic but its hopeful and it's my thoughts. I can't stand these prices and let's hope something changes. What are you thoughts? Am I being ridiculous? Do I have good ideas? Comment! Enjoy! And watch some movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment