Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Clerks "I wasn't even supposed to be here today!"

Kevin Smith has always been a fun director in my point of view not necessarily because of his films but because of his personality. He is a smart man and knows a lot about cinema. He also is fucking hilarious so I had been trying to watching his first movie Clerks for a while now and thank you Netflix for finally signing with Miramax because I was now given that opportunity. So would Smith's first feature be worth the wait? Read on to find out...

Clerks is about a day in the life of people behind the counter. The main protagonist, Dante (Brian O'Halloran), is called in to work at the convenience store when he was supposed to have the day off. He hangs out with his current girlfriend (Marilyn Ghigliotti) and his video store clerk friend Randal (Jeff Anderson). As the day progresses Dante must deal with weird and annoying customers while dealing with his high school ex and trying to not lose his job. At the same time he plays hockey on the roof, visits a funeral, and gets charged for selling cigarettes to a minor.

Overall this movie, while I didn't hate it, did not really make me laugh or excite me. It did have some enjoyable points and laughs but overall I was a little disappointed. I did enjoy seeing the small things like the hold up sign and the end of the hockey game. But this one really did not stand out for me. At times it feels all over the place but still sticks to some sort of coherent plot.

Kevin Smith definitely proved himself as a worthy filmmaker with this though. It is nicely shot and has some nice editing. The music is nice and adds a nice depth to the movie. And I will admit I did enjoy Jay and Silent Bob for being funny and there are some great moments that will make you laugh.

At the same time there were just too many points where I was just sitting and not enjoying the film. I was wondering where it was going and I had to question myself throughout and ask if I was enjoying it. Somehow this movie felt long to me when it was only a short 92 minutes compared to some of the movies I have seen. Some stuff that tried to be funny at some points got annoying.

Also this movie does have some really good points to make. The last few parts of this movie have some nice heart to heart discussion and bring some humanity to the flick. It is a nice film but nothing that stands out for me. Not really any urge to watch it again which hurts it in my opinion. Still it is a cult classic and many love it so see it for yourself and decide. For me, it wasn't anything that I am dying to tell people about. And originally I gave this 3.5 but after writing this review I have to knock it down a bit. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment