Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rubber



Rubber was a movie that I was originally going to see at a Film Festival in the big NC but unfortunately my Cinema group never went. So thankfully for the powers of the all powerful Netflix, I was able to see this on streaming and was pretty excited about it. If you had heard the premise of this film, it might sound weird but I am always a big fan of the unusual and strange. This film is so strange that at first I didn't even think that it was serious at first. But then I realized this was legit and sat down to give it a nice watch, and boy am I glad that I did.

Rubber is a movie about a tire, a tire that has psychic powers and can blow things up that is. The tire learns that it can destroys and gets addicted to it. Soon the tire causes trouble in near by towns by killing people and causing problems for the police department. At the same time, an audience watches the story unfold from afar with binoculars. The audience must survive long enough to watch the show and the police must stop the tire's mad rampage throughout the town.



Plot: Rubber is a movie entirely about nothing. The film starts out with a monologue explaining the basis of the film that there is no reason for this film. While this blatant approach to give a message doesn't work in other films, I loved it in this one. This film has some of the most random stuff throughout it that you do have to admit there was no reason for it. Rubber really is a film that makes fun of people, like me, who like to uber analyze films and find deeper meanings for everything. I think the filmmaker, Quentin Dupieux, was trying to make a film that was truly random and unexplainable. It is a homage to all the random nothingness that occurs throughout films and blasts it to a large scale. At the same time, this film has a lot of layers throughout it. It makes fun of just about everyone involved in the movie going experience. The part with the poisoned Turkey still has me thinking and I will do some deep research into its meaning. Hell I could be over analyzing it and totally destroying the point the film was trying to make. Still, this film is one of the most interesting pieces of film that I have seen in a long time. I laughed my ass off and enjoyed it as both an cinematic and entertaining perspective. Still, be warned, this is a little bit of a slow film so be patient because its worth it. 5/5

Cast: The cast does nothing that stands out here, but at the same time does not bring the film down. They play right into the film's needs and do it brilliantly. Stephen Spinella stands out as the highlight for being both hilarious and holding a key role in the film. Also everyone involved in the "audience" did a great job representing the different kinds of movie watchers. I couldn't stop laughing at their interactions. Plus the tire himself, Robert, was the best part of the whole film and every time the camera turned from him I was saying "Get back to the tire!". 4/5

Script: The highlight of this script is that it is not only deep and layered but also hilarious. I found myself laughing throughout the film and at the most random stuff. It was a fun ride throughout. Like I said, it also is deep with a lot of layers that need some understanding. But that is the joy of it all, it is a layered film that I want to analyze but the movie is out to stop analyzing. It is a wonderful script that blends together all the aspects of this story together that both feeds us that nothingness along with structure at the same time. 5/5

Direction/Visuals: Quentin Dupieux was a superstar behind this film. He not only wrote it but also directed, edited, and did the cinematography. I was glad because all three were strong parts of the film. The film is visually beautiful and combines the right amount of time and action. Even just following Robert was nice to watch. The editing is nice but nothing stands out as amazing. Still the visuals are great, and the direction superb and I hope Dupieux continues to do films and soon. 5/5

Overall: This is great! I loved it and will definitely go back to watch it again and again. I think almost anyone can enjoy it and it's hilarious to watch. I would highly suggest this especially to people who hate the over analyzing of movies. Check it out and enjoy it! Everything of this film works and comes together in top form. I may be over loving this film but I could care less. I loved it and will defend it all the way.


5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment