Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Tree Of Life

I absolutely love films that make me want to make movies. The first movie that did this to me was Requiem For A Dream. After I saw that I felt a passion to go out and make a film like that. American History X, American Beauty, and The Dark Knight are just a few movies that fall into that category. Now I have another classic to add, The Tree Of Life. I had been waiting for another Terrance Malick flick after seeing Badlands and The New World and I was lucky to actually catch one of his pics in the theaters. Boy was it an experience.

The Tree Of Life was written and directed by Terrance Malick that also stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, and Jessica Chastain. The movie follows a family growing up in the 1950s. The movie focuses on Jack, the first born, who must deal with a demanding father and unconditional loving mother. As Jack grows up, he loses his innocence and must learn about growing up at the same time. Later in life, Jack reflects on his youth and the meaning of life all while dealing with the loss of his brother, who died at age 19. The film also explores the beginning of the planet Earth and its progression through time all the way to its inevitable end.
 


Plot: This movie, while slow at points, explores a vast depth of issues and themes that not only hit home for me but apply to everyone throughout their life. God, morality, the beginning of life, and the meaning of life at all explored and presented brilliantly. I found myself having my faith questioned and me exploring my beliefs on life. The thing that makes Tree work so well is its ability to explore all angles of these questions. At one point I am believing that God is gracious and loving and the next I am wondering why he lets bad things happen to good people. The overall balance between Pitt and Chastain was brilliant. I saw the reflection between Grace and Nature, which is mentioned in the film. I saw an OT God versus a NT God. Amazingly these themes fit perfectly in the 1950s era where this personas were the real thing. Though Jake stands out as a reflection of humanity and even ourselves at times. We hate Mr. O'Brien for his expectations and demanding style but also embrace it and forgive it for him. At the same time no matter how much we love Mrs. O'Brien we still rebel and turn against her. Over time we must grow up but at the same time it comes with its consequences. Really I connected with Jake in this film because I could understand where he came from. We want to grow up and make our father proud but luckily for me my Father was not as demanding as Pitt. Jake though isn't the only one dealing with issues, each character brings with them emotion and adds a lot of depth to the film. The important thing to remember about this film is that it is set in 1950s which was a completely different lifestyle that today's world. The other part of this film that amazed me was the story of Earth. Watching Malick's vision of the beginning and end of times was awe inspiring. It was accurate and beautiful, my favorite part was the beginning of cells and zooming into the cell itself and eventually the nucleus. Overall the plot is deep and the flow is slow but subtle that lets you slowly process Malick's story and ideas. I enjoyed it thoroughly and still am enjoying it's story. 5/5

Cast: The big name players Pitt and Penn did not disappoint. While Penn had a significantly smaller role that I first thought, he was strong and subtle. Pitt really pulled out a great performance and was great as Mr. O'Brien. He was able to show both strict discipline and deep love for his children. He comes out the best during the last half of the film and is one of the best parts of the film. Chastain is solid here along with the rest of the cast able to let Malick paint a portrait of humanity. They don't over act or hog the picture which allows the audience to focus on what Tree really is about and connect to its story. 5/5

Script: Tree fits right into Malick's style of screenwriting with a strong narrative over less dialogue. I enjoy this part of Malick's films because it lets us get into the character's true thoughts and understand what they are going through. One of the best scenes in the film show Jake praying out loud a simple prayer that is played over with Jake's inner monologue with God. It reminds us that what we say may not always reflect what we really are thinking. The rest of these characters have inner monologues that also talk to God or reflect on existential issues. They are a strong part of the film and give it that extra depth and power that I really enjoy about the film. Overall, Malick knows that subtlety can go a long way and it works here. 5/5

Direction/Visuals: Definitely the best part of the whole film, as with all of Malick's work. The film might be the most beautiful film I have ever seen yet and at the least in my Top 5. I love the use of natural lighting, which Malick also did in The New World, and it rocks and works. Though the most impressing part visually is the Universe shots and the beginning and ending of Earth. It is amazing that Malick did not use CGI for those shots and it makes it that more impressive. The film has a nice solid flow through it that makes it alive and breathe unlike many films today. Malick brings out the beauty in the universe and everyday life. He makes every one of his films a masterpiece and this one did not disappoint. Also there is a great tribute shot to 2001 that will make any cinegeek cheer. 5/5

Overall: This film is very cinematic. I say that because not everyone is going to like this film unfortunately. I would suggest seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey and if you enjoy that you will enjoy this film. It is slow but still alive. It explores a lot of themes that will have you thinking throughout and after the film. I highly suggest this to cinema fans and any Malick fans. Also I will say this, give this film a chance because it is definitely worth it. Be patient and enjoy the experience that Malick has set out for you. One of the best movies of 2011 so far and for a while.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment